Money transfer startup WorldRemit is one of Western Union’s fastest growing competitors.
The company raised $40 million in a venture capital round from LeapFrog Investments, which brought total funding to $220 million last year. Employing over 600 people in London and Denver, WorldRemit started a twenty-seat customer service team in Cebu, Philippines, in November 2017 and successfully moved a team of 200 to their own site once their Philippines entity and the office was completed.
How did GoTeam help?
- Sourced and selected top talent in the Philippines for WorldRemit departments, including Customer Service, HR, Finance, and Technology
- Enabled WorldRemit managers to select their own team members and create the WorldRemit culture in the Philippines
- Assisted with local visas so managers and trainers could visit and train team members the WorldRemit way
- Supplied a PCI compliant office space in line with their London and Denver security requirements
- No lock-in contracts so WorldRemit could move their team once their Philippine Incorporated company was established and office fit-out complete
- Assisted their HR department with knowledge of local government, payroll, and employee requirements
- Setup an 11-member customer service team with a 5-day turnaround
- Grew the team from 20 to 205 team members in 10 months
- Cebu-based team had the highest NPI score of employee satisfaction and feedback across all WorldRemit locations.
WorldRemit is a rapidly-growing, online money transfer company, allowing more than 3 million customers to quickly, safely and inexpensively send money to their friends and family around the world.
As the company scaled, we identified Cebu in the Philippines as a great place to locate a third global hub. The Philippines is also a key ‘receive’ market for WorldRemit, which makes it a natural place for the company to invest, creating jobs and opportunities.
We initially engaged GoTeam as part of a three-month operational feasibility study with around a dozen local staff. This delivered so well against its objectives that we then worked with them to incubate a multi-departmental team, with a couple of hundred staff successfully moving into our new offices ten months later.
During this process we found GoTeam extremely flexible in their support of our exacting and evolving requirements. They were happy and able to overcome the inevitable challenges along the way, even beyond their normal office hours, which was especially useful given that the client interface was managed remotely from London using Zoom… appropriate for a fast-moving global tech company.
Of the company values, which their team really does live, the one that stands out to us is ‘find a way’… GoTeam were never stumped by a challenge or new requirement, however complex, which made the task of the London project team so much easier.
I can highly recommend GoTeam for feasibility studies and incubation projects of this nature.
Consultant – Philippines Project